|Type of study programme||Professional bachelor degree|
|Degree||Professional Bachelor’s Degree in Music, qualification Instrumental Music Performer (in respective specialization, e.g.: pianist, violinist)|
|Licence/accreditation||Study programme accredited until 30-Jun-2023|
|Duration||4 years (full-time)|
|Credit points||160 (ECTS: 240)|
|Study language||English (EN)|
|Study arrangements||International students study in English according to an individual plan. International students are offered a Latvian language course (3 ECTS) in the framework of the study program.|
|Fees||3500 - 6000 EUR per year|
|Study programme description||Programme aims to prepare highly qualified professional instrumental music performers (keyboard, string, wind, percussion, early instrument performance and jazz music performance), providing specialists required by the State and the society, to provide knowledge based on the theory of science of music consistent with the standards of instrumental music performer’s profession and applicable in professional practice, preparing graduates for successful integration into the labour markets of Latvia and abroad, to motivate students to continue professional development and further education in the European education system.
Instrumental Music with sub-programmes:
• Keyboard Performance : specializations piano performance, organ performance, accordion performance
• String Performance: specializations violin performance, viola performance, cello performance, double bass performance, harp performance, kokle performance
• Wind Performance: specializations flute performance, oboe performance, clarinet performance, bassoon performance, saxophone performance, French horn performance, trumpet performance, trombone performance, euphonium performance, tuba performance
• Percussion Performance
• Early instrument performance:
. specialization Keyboard performance: profiles harpsichord performance, organ performance;
. specialization String instrument performance: profiles violin performance, viola performance, cello performance, early double bass performance (violone), lute performance;
. specialization Wind instrument performance: profiles blockflute performance, traverse flute performance, baroque oboe performance, baroque clarinet performance, baroque bassoon performance, natural French horn performance, natural trumpet performance, baroque trombone performance;
• Jazz music: specializations piano performance, accordion performance, violin performance, double bass performance, guitar performance, flute performance, clarinet performance, saxophone performance, trumpet performance, trombone performance, vibraphone performance, percussion set performance.
|Study programme link||www.jvlma.lv/en/studies/study-programmes/field-of-study-arts
|Requirements||General secondary or professional secondary education.
Additional requirements for application to study:
• Instrument performance (academic, early or jazz instrument performance);
• Colloquium in instrument performance;
• Colloquium in music literature and theory (solfeggio, harmony, form).
For detailed admission requirements click here:http://www.jvlma.lv/en/studies/application-and-admissions
Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music provides professional undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and academic postgraduate programmes in music performance, conducting, composition, music science, music pedagogy and choreography. Doctoral level studies are available in the field of history and theory of music. Scientific research and artistic creativity are the cornerstones of all professional and academic study programmes.
The main goals of the Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music are to provide studies of exceptional quality in subjects of music, choreography and education sciences, humanitarian and social sciences; to conduct research projects in arts sciences; to encourage artistic creativity of the young musicians.
Population in the city of Riga: 632 614
Total number of students: 568 (2019/20)
Number of International students: 30 (2019/20)
Number of academic staff: 146 (2019/20)